Larysa, otherwise known as La La, is one of our bubbly staff members in our Gaming Room. She’ll keep the smile on your dial for longer after you’ve tried her Bloody Mary Beef recipe. Pair it with a deep hearty Jacob’s Creek Double Barrel Carbernet Sauvignon from La Bocca Bottleshop – the combination is just perfect! Serves 6 to 8 Ingredients
- 1 x 1kg piece of brisket
- Olive oil
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 head of celery
- 2 large brown onions
- 5 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 5 dried bay leaves (3 if fresh)
For the Bloody Mary Mix
- 1 lemon
- 400g jar of passata
- 2 tbls of Worcestershire sauce
- A few drops of Tabasco sauce (to your taste)
- 3 tablespoons of vodka
- 1 tablespoon of port
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a pan. Season brisket all over with salt and pepper, then put into the hot pan. Brown brisket all over.
- Meanwhile, trim the celery (keep the tops) and roughly chop. Then peel and roughly chop the onions.
- Once brisket is browned all over, remove from pan and place in a slow cooker. (You can also use a heavy casserole dish, just pre heat oven 130’c before you start).
- Add onions, celery and 1/2 cup of water to the hot pan. Reduce pan to a low heat and cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Squeeze the lemon juice into a large jug and mix with the rest of the Bloody Mary Mix ingredients. Now add Bloody Mary Mix to the pan with celery and onion, bring to boil then turn off the heat.
- Tie rosemary and some of the celery tops together, add these and also bay leaves to the slow cooker and then pour pan mix over brisket. Cook for 5 to 6 hours or until beef is tender and falling apart.
Serve with creamy mashed potatoes and mixed greens.